Sunday, December 27, 2009

Jean-Georges, Nov 2009


Jean-Georges is considered one of the best restaurant in New York.  Famous for his French contemporary cuisine, Jean-Georges designs two different set of tasting menu, the signature Jean-Georges Menu and the seasonal Autumn Menu, which is perfect for us visitors to taste the most in one dinner.
Everything was perfect, well designed courses, attentive sommelier***, roomy tables, and great location.  If I have to pick any flaw, 3-hour dinner was a bit rush for eight-course dinner (if you count the 4-dessert plate as one dessert only).  


You probably notice that I miss quite a lot of pictures of butter or bread in my blog.  I do love bread and butter, or shall I say butter with bread, and intend to take pictures of both.  But, I am also hungry just reading the menu and ends up finish the bread before even thinking about blogging.

The only Sauzet in half bottle.  Sauzet is usually a boarder wine.  La Garenne has green apple acidity and mineral.  It was great with the hamachi sashimi.

We were shocked by how amazingly attentive wine service was when every glass was at the similar temperature.







Egg Caviar

Not the usual egg caviar.  The texture of egg is crystallized, a opposite to the silky caviar and cream.  I am still used to the egg custard cream instead.


Egg Toast, Caviar and Dill

The combination of cold caviar and cream fresh with toasted warm brioche on toasted plate provides a great temperature and texture sensation in our mouth.  I can have this course whole day.

Hamachi Sashimi, Sherry Vinaigrette and Toasted Pecans


Sea Scallops, Caramelized Cauliflower, Caper-Raisin Emulsion



Sommelier got a whole new case of 2007 Vincent Dancer La Romanee Chassagne Montrachet out of wine maker's six only barrels arrived.  Although I usually stick to the wine makers I am familiar with, I do not pass on a recommendation from Sommelier.
Toasty coconut nose with refreshing mineral lime flavor, aroma of Hawaii.   I made the right decision to trust the professional.




Ravioli with Hazelnut and White Truffle

Again, we added the white truffle course to tasting menu. I loved the toasted hazelnut but I think it over power the white truffle.  Milton loved the balance of hazelnut and white truffle.  White truffle is thinly sliced, one third of the thickness and one sixth the volume of French Laundry.


Nishiki Risotto
with Porcini Marmalade and Five Herbs


Young Garlic Soup
with Thyme, Sauteed Frog Legs


Six weeks passed.  I can still tasted the texture of frog legs, thin crispy fried outside with tender juicy legs.  Garlic soup is hearty but tough to get rid of the flavor in our months for wine.


rose water for washing our greasy fingers from eating deep fried frog legs.  Feel like Marie Antoinette.  Isn't lemon more practical?




Steamed Black Sea Bass
 Purple Potato Butter and Charred Poblano Peppers


Turbot 
with Chateau Chalon Sauce


Maine Lobster Baked with Basil Butter
Autumn Vegetables, Lemon Spaetzle, Jalapeno


Lobster Tartine
Lemongrass and Fenugreek Broth, Pea Shoots

I could not believe how tender the lobster was.  Lobster was buttered, baked, and poached, which has much better flavor and is more difficult than the only safe way I know how, poached and ice bath for lobster salad.


Fruity with hint of earthiness and silky texture, napa + burgundy


It is very intriguing how JF Mugnier spice up the venison.











Broiled Squab
Onion Compote, Corn Pancake with Foie Gras

Five spice squab was boiled to get rid of the grease but kept skin intact and crispy.  It also preserve the tenderness of muscle.  Corn pancake was fine with cake-like texture.  The hint of sweetness paired with foie gras well.  I found an alternative to my potato bread for pairing with foie gras.

Roasted Venison
Quince-Madeira Condiment, Broccoli Raab and Cabrales Foam
















The Jean-Georges Menu had all the signature dishes.  Wonderful.  The Autumn Menu uses seasonal ingredients.  Great compliment to the Jean-Georges menu to show off chef's talent.   While having the squab and venison, Milton said "I can't take it anymore."  The same words I use often when I am starving.  We both burst out laughing.   We barely touched our desserts and left the petit fours untouched, and vowed "We shall be back".



No comments:

Post a Comment